The attorneys at Christian & Small have a wealth of experience defending product liability claims in state and federal courts. We assume that every case will go to trial and prepare the defense accordingly. With that approach, we have amassed a record of successfully defending product manufacturers and distributors representing various industries. It is not uncommon for our litigators to be called in on the eve of trial to take over a case.
Our products liability attorneys have represented manufacturers, insurance companies, distributors, and retailers in cases involving:
- Aircraft components
- All forms of industrial equipment
- All-terrain vehicles (ATVs)
- Blow mold machines
- Building materials
- Commercial and consumer lawn equipment
- Commercial electrical regulators
- Commercial HVAC systems
- Concrete anchor lifting systems
- Diet drugs
- Household appliances
- Hydraulic transfer cars
- Kerosene heaters
- Medical devices
- Mobile cranes
- Overhead cranes
- Power tools
- PVC pipe
- Underground mining equipment
High-profile recalls, manufacturing disputes and federal and state government investigations have changed the game for the medical device industry. Beyond looking for more cost-effective ways to defend against medical products liability claims and comply with FDA pre-market and post-marketing mandates, medical device companies are seeking proactive ways to protect themselves from this high-stakes litigation.
Christian & Small attorneys have defended numerous pharmaceutical manufacturers, medical device manufacturers, and ancillary health care and technology companies. Engagements range from the defense of single-plaintiff cases to more complex litigation presenting multiple claims across several states. Our experience in multi-district litigation positions Christian & Small to efficiently gather and assimilate the vast amounts of technical and scientific data at play in these medical device cases.
Our lawyers work closely with clients to mount the successful defense of complex medical device litigation. Extensive trial experience combined with firm litigators’ practice in healthcare liability defense provides us with the resources and the foundation to provide effective service to companies facing the challenges of this critical sector of the economy.
- Defended a major international pharmaceutical company in the first of numerous “Average Wholesale Pricing” cases filed by the Alabama Attorney General. The Alabama Supreme Court reversed a jury verdict for the State, resulting in a total victory for the defendant.
- Served as national coordinating counsel, with specific responsibility for Alabama state court litigation, in multi-jurisdictional products liability actions arising from sale of a dietary supplement.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court for a pharmaceutical manufacturer where plaintiff alleged that an antibiotic caused loss of vision.
- Christian & Small currently representing a nutraceutical products manufacturer in product liability suits claiming personal injuries and death.
- Represent wheelchair manufacturer in a product liability case.
- Defended international manufacturer of steel fabricating system in federal court for multi-million-dollar property damage claim arising out of massive molten steel spill and involving design defect claims. Obtained summary judgment in favor of system manufacturer.
- Defended domestic mobile, all-terrain crane manufacturer in wrongful death case in state court involving claims of design defect. Obtained summary judgment in favor of crane manufacturer. Alabama State Supreme Court subsequently affirmed the decision.
- Obtained defense verdict in state court wrongful death case involving design defect and failure to warn claims against foreign agricultural tractor manufacturer.
- Defeated class certification in federal case alleging defects in an infant product.
- Obtained summary judgment for a major appliance distributor against wrongful death claims.